Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Practice Makes Perfect

I recently came to the realization that this is the first time in my 11-year teaching career that I have been in the same classroom (and same grade level) for 3 consecutive years. Now, don't get me wrong, I am grateful that I have had the chance to teach 5th through 8th grade in multiple urban settings. My varied experiences have given me perspective and fostered versatility. Yet, I can't help thinking that teachers move (or get moved!) around too much. If you are a beginning teacher and have an inkling that you may be cut out for a different setting or a different level, by all means pursue that inner sense that is pushing you in a different direction. That being said, it makes a whole lot of sense to me to think that a teacher needs consistency and time in order to develop into a master. I feel increasingly more confident with every year that I teach 5th grade. My students are reaping the benefits of having a teacher who knows the curriculum and has been given the time necessary to begin supplementing it and enriching it in new and exciting ways. This is only possible with time (and of course a drive to continually reflect and improve). If you adopt this mentality of continual reflection and improvement, it may be easier to deal with the frustrations and setbacks that you will most certainly experience in your early years. I hope you're in it for the long haul because good things are awaiting you on the road ahead...

No comments:

Post a Comment