Saturday, July 31, 2010

What's this all about?

"The Road Less Taught", besides the obvious allusion to Frost's poem, is a phrase that I coined (at least I think I coined it...) to shed some light on the experience of a beginning teacher, embarking on the adventure of a lifetime. Let's be honest. The most important lessons in teaching are not imparted within the realm of official teacher training or preparation anyway. The truth is, these lessons can't really be taught in isolation. They must be learned "on the road". This philosophy of learning through interaction and experience is downplayed in favor of educational theories, fads, and buzzwords. As a teacher of ten (going on eleven!) years in the classroom, I am finally yielding to my inclinations to share some of the lessons I've learned along the "road" of my own teaching career. My words are especially, yet not exclusively, directed towards first-year teachers or to anyone who considers his/herself a beginning teacher. I'm aiming my words at those of you who are both eager to succeed and unsure of what lies ahead. I will be writing a series of entries during the upcoming (2010-2011) school year. Despite my years of experience, I am about to embark on the same type of yearlong quest to impact lives and inspire a genuine love of learning. I will be facing the same obstacles and frustrations that all teachers, young and old, will encounter. My hope is that by sharing my own challenges, observations, thought processes, decisions, and actions I will provide you with a certain measure of support, advice, and companionship (and of course a few laughs!). Until then, try your best to enjoy " the calm before the storm"! Just kidding...well, sort of kidding.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad




Location:Chicago, IL

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome, Chris! I completely agree about most of teaching being learned "on the road". (Seems like most of parenting too!!) I wish I'd had your blog my first year teaching, but the lessons I learned as I struggled through were priceless! Can't wait to read more, since you now have so many years experience compared to when we first started!

    ReplyDelete